Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Lowell, MA

How to Verify a Professional's License in Lowell?

Professionals in Lowell must have a license before providing services to the city's residents. The Massachusetts Division of Professional Licensure (DPL) and the Massachusetts Board of Building Regulation and Standards are the main regulatory boards that oversee the licensure of these professionals. It is essential to ensure that any professional working on your project has been awarded the proper license by the authorized licensing board. When you guarantee these professionals have a license, you can protect yourself from liabilities such as payment for injuries as a result of unforeseen circumstances during your project. You can verify the license of a Lowell professional via the Massachusetts e-Place Licensing and Permitting Portal.

After verifying your professional's license, the next step to take is securing all required permits. For example, permits are typically required for construction-related work that takes place in Lowell. The Lowell Department of Development Services manages the city's permit process and issues permits for building construction, building reconstruction, building alterations, building demolishing, building change of use, and building additions. Failure to obtain required permits before carrying out work can lead to a loss of homeowners insurance and fines of up to $1,000. For questions on the city's building permit requirements, you can contact the Department of Development Services by phone at (978) 674-4144.

Massachusetts Contractor License Search:

Do Lowell Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Lowell currently consists of 17 neighborhood groups. These neighborhood groups and associations do not issue construction-related permits in the city. However, they work to address quality of life concerns in the neighborhoods, present strategies in line with the vision of the neighborhoods, and cooperate with the city's Neighborhood Services Department and the City Council.

In September 2020, it was reported that Lowell was partnering with the University of Massachusetts Lowell (UMass Lowell) to support community efforts and activities aimed at promoting healthy aging. This partnership was funded with a $300,000 grant awarded to UMass Lowell by the Tufts Health Plan Foundation. Furthermore, in August 2021, it was also reported that the Lowell City Council was proposing the installation of a downtown restroom to reduce the ongoing public defecation noticed in the downtown neighborhoods.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Lowell?

Residents of Lowell who may have disagreements with a business can file a complaint with the Consumer Advocacy and Response Division (CARD) of the State of Massachusetts Attorney General's Office. To file a complaint, call the consumer hotline at (617) 727-8400, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday . You can also opt to submit a complaint online, or you download a complaint form, complete it and mail it to:

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Advocacy & Response Division
  • One Ashburton Place, 18th Floor
  • Boston, MA 02108

The Consumer Advocacy and Response Division (CARD) will attempt to resolve your dispute with a business through trained consumer specialists or refer you to other consumer assistance services. Common issues handled by CARD include defective products, home improvement contract disputes, and car sales. However, neither the CARD nor the Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General can prosecute an erring business on your behalf or give you legal advice regarding your complaint. If an agreeable resolution cannot be reached concerning your complaint and receiving financial restitution is your aim, you can seek to further address the matter by filing a small claims suit at the Boston Municipal Court. Note that while a small claims suit offers a simplified means for you to secure retribution from an erring business or professional, its jurisdiction is limited to civil matters that do not exceed $7,000. It is in your best interest to consult with an experienced attorney before filing any court cases. You can get access to an attorney near you through the Massachusetts Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service, which you can access online or via phone number (617) 654-0400.